BRADBURY BROTHERS MARKET HISTORY
The store that would later become an important fixture in the life of Cape Porpoise residents began when Frank Bradbury sold 100 hens from his barn and turned in the family insurance policies in 1934, according to co-owner Tom Bradbury. With that money he bought enough wood for an 8-by-10-foot structure next to his driveway called Bradbury’s Grocery and they began by selling milk and eggs from their farm while Frank’s wife, Alta, would cook hot dogs and hamburgers in a large iron frying pan, according to an article Bradbury wrote in March 11, 1992 issue of the Star.
According to the article, the store gathered a large group of regulars who would come in the evening for the political debate, with Frank Bradbury fielding the Democratic “in a town where nearly everyone was a registered Republican.” The store continued to expand, and after a few years Frank Bradbury had a mind to buy the store across the street, where the market is located now, purchasing it with his son, Wilbur (Seavey’s and Bradbury’s uncle), in 1944.
In 1946, Bradbury’s father, Charles, returned from his tour of duty in Africa and bought his father’s portion of the business, coining the name Bradbury Bros. Market.
Courtesy of Seacoastonline
As we like to say….”Bradbury Brothers and Others” – bringing some new ideas to a historic store founded some 70 years ago by Milton and Wilbur Bradbury!